My favorite thing to cook, and talk about, is asparagus. I don’t know why I feel the need to enlighten people on its virtues, but I can’t help myself. I couldn’t pick just one recipe, so I brought two to the table. Enjoy!
Panko Crusted Asparagus Spears
An excellent appetizer for any party, these are best served warm from the oven. Makes four servings.
Cooking spray, canola oil is best
1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tbsp white miso
1 tsp chile-garlic sauce
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
3/4 cup Japanese-style panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2) Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray
3) Place asparagus in a shallow dish and toss with half of the miso mixture. Coat well.
4) Combine panko and sesame seeds. One spear at a time, roll the asparagus in the mixture and place on the baking sheet with room between each spear. Spray with canola oil.
5) Roast until coating is golden brown and crispy, about 20 – 25 minutes. Serve with the rest of the miso mixture as a dipping sauce.